Skip to main content

Caught in the Storm




Aghast, I stared at the approaching wave of sand. It stood about fifteen meters high and it rushed towards at an alarming speed. Dread seeped into our very muscles and forbade us to move. For a few long moments we stood there our mouths agape. Then; “Run for your lives!” Zack shouted as he turned his horse and galloped away, seemingly at the speed of light. Regaining our senses we followed in his stead.
I dug my heels in my horse’s ribs, it galloped as fast as it probably could, but the sand was a terrible enemy. Soon my horse was knee-deep in the sand, struggling against nature. I pulled at its reins, trying to help it. The storm was almost upon us, my heart raced franticly and just as my horse broke free of the sand, the storm pounced on us and folded us into its self. I tensed, but knowing that tension would only make things worse, I tried to calm myself, to no avail.
I looked around me, squinting. It was if I had entered a world made entirely of powdered gold. The swirling sand roared in my ears and the wind whipped my hair in my face. Everything moved in such fast a motion that it made me dizzy. Soon I had to shut my eyes and my mouth due to the excessive sand. I held onto my horse’s reins as the tiny particles of sand stung and stuck to my sweaty skin. I felt my horse rear beneath me, and I fell off it as it mercilessly galloped away. I listened to the muffled sound of its hooves, realizing how very alone I was. I strained my ears, trying to listen for my companions. But all I heard was the distant braying of a few horses through the thundering storm. However, my optimism allowed me to think that my companions had somehow survived. After all, miracles did happen in this world.
I did not dare open my eyes or my mouth neither did I dare to stand up. Incompetent against the storm I sat there, thinking. I thought back to how I had ended up here, and for a terrifying moment, I could not remember. But then miracles did happen in this world and a miracle it was that I was able to remember my journey.
We were on a trading journey to Arabia from Jordan. The odds had not been in our favour since the very beginning. Firstly the weather was not good, the winds were pretty harsh. Then midway to Arabia our lot was looted by our thieves, and all our trading material was lost. Not knowing what to do, we had turned back towards Jordan. No sooner had we turned around that we saw the approaching wave of sand in which we were stuck now.
All these thoughts occupied my head and all the sand occupied my nose. Two tears leaked through each of my closed eyelids and stung my face as they traveled down. I was going to die and I was helpless and alone in this time of great need. I tried to shut out the noise of the raging storms both within and without of me. I prayed to God for help. ‘I do not want to die right now’, I explained to Him ‘I had so much to do, so much to live for!’
And what happened next was indescribable; I can only say I survived, and as I began my solo journey back to Jordon I could only think that after all, miracles do happen in this world.

Comments

  1. This is an amazing story. It's so much better than my story about the sea storm. Are you still taking English tuitions?
    Keep posting more writings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And do check out my blog, I added a poll on it about what what kind of stuff do you like to see on my blog. Please cast your vote in it.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Fatima, yes I am still taking tuition. I'll view your blog right away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Please do cast your vote in the poll on the left-hand side of my blog. :)

      Delete
  3. This story is just so wonderfully written! :D I love the descriptions so much - I can picture the scene so well!
    Do continue writing more great stories like this! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. ╔═══╗───────╔╗─────────╔╗
    ║╔═╗║───────║║─────────║║
    ║║─╚╬══╦══╦═╝║╔══╦═╗╔══╣║
    ║║╔═╣╔╗║╔╗║╔╗║║╔╗║╔╗╣║═╬╝
    ║╚╩═║╚╝║╚╝║╚╝║║╚╝║║║║║═╬╗
    ╚═══╩══╩══╩══╝╚══╩╝╚╩══╩╝

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Latest News of Pakistan: Heat, Death and Rainmaking

Karachi, Friday 26th: Lately, death has taken its toll in the province of Sindh. Sinch last week over two thousand people have died due to heat strokes or droughts, and load shedding only adds to the misery. The heat of June has been growing unbearable for the public, with no rain and less winds. Thus the government of Pakistan and the NDMA(Natural Disaster Management Authority) have decided to try out cloud seeding for the first time in Pakistan. But what is cloud seeding? Cloud Seeding is also known as chemical rain, rainmaking, or artificial precipitation. Cloud Seeding is away to produce artificial rain, mostly done to avoid droughts, increase reservoir irrigation water, increase water supply capacity or to increase water levels for power generation. Cloud Seeding is done by using air planes or rockets which sow into the clouds catalysts such as dry ice, silver iodide and salt powder. These catalysts induce nucleation and what little water is in the air condenses and crystall

ایک ڈراؤنا خواب

میں بیٹھ کر اپنا ہوم ورک کر رہی تھی. اچانک ایک زوردار آواز آی. یوں لگا جیسے کوئی دھماکا  ہوا ہو. میں اٹھ کھڑی ہوئی اور میں نے ڈرتے ڈرتے گھر کے گیٹ تک کا سفر طے کیا اور وہاں سے باہر جھانکنے کی ہمت بھی کی. سڑک پر بوہت سی لاشیں، خون میں لت پت پڑی  ہوئی تھیں. میں سر کے بل واپس کمرے کی طرف بھاگی اور میں نے اپنے کمرے کا دروازا بند کر لیا. ابھی مجھے کچھ ہی دیر ہوئی تھی ہانپتے کانپتے جب مجھے کسی کے دھاڑیں مار مار کر رونے کی آواز آئ. کوئی مدد کےلئے چلّا رہا تھا. میں دوبارہ باہر نہیں جانا چھاتی تھی لیکن ڈر اور اضطراب کی ایک عجیب کیفیت مجھے پھر سے باہر کی جانب لے چلی. گھر کا دروازہ کھولنے پر میں نے دیکھا کہ ایک عورت ایک لاش کے پاس بیٹھی بین کر رہی تھی. اس کی حالت بوہت خستہ تھی. اس کہ بال سفید اور بکھرے ہوے تھے. اس کے کپڑے نہایت ڈھیلے اور پرانے نظر آ رہے تھے. اس کے جھریوں بھرے چہرے  پر چمکتے آنسو انگنت تھے. میں ابھی اس کا جائزہ ہی لے رہی تھی جب اس نے اپنی لال آبدیدہ آنکھوں سے مجھے دیکھا. وہ اٹھی اور میری طرف بڑھنے لگی. مجھے چاہنے کے باوجود اس سے کوئی ہمدردی محسوس  نہیں ہو رہی تھی، لیکن میرا خو
                 “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Apple Inc.  “I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ― Oscar Wilde  “If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” ― J.K. Rowling   “Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”